On the cusp of triple digits, the tournament of power is fully underway. With no shortage of fighters being eliminated, who will be the last one standing? I’m betting on Cabba.
“Show Them! Krillin’s True Power!!”
Oh good, a Krillin episode. Something not many people have ever said, and yet it seems to keep happening. But I can commend Super for handling this tournament of insanity pretty well so far, focusing on certain match-ups that have less interest early on but still some amount of meaning. Clearly, if Krillin is going to be featured, it’s probably all he’ll get in the tournament – and behold, the first of Universe 7 to be eliminated.
It seems like most of his preparation and interesting techniques are wasted in this episode in favor of focusing on the connection with Android 18. The two most useful strategic attacks the team might have are pretty much ineffective, with the destructo-disc barely clipping a wing and the solar flare x100 being used on someone who can’t even see! At least Krillin got at least a positive K/D ratio out of this experience – much better than he’s fared in other possibly world-ending scenarios. Clearly there is no irony in being taken out by Frost, or bizarro-Frieza, because that is exactly what everyone expected. In fact, I’m surprised it wasn’t just Frieza straight up knocking Krillin out of the way.
The animation holds up pretty well here, especially compared to last episode’s extreme re-use of earlier animation. Most notably is the fight scenes with Krillin and Android 18 working together. There’s a lot of fun camerawork here as they toss their opponent and energy back and forth. It’s likely where the entire budget of the episode went to, because there are several other shots that just aren’t nearly as fluid or interesting. This is kind of pulling an Attack on Titan season 2 style, with a few insane shots and then a bunch of stills. And you know what? I’m pretty much fine with that.
- The recap from last episode only served to remind me how annoying the Universe 9 team was. Maybe erasure isn’t so bad after all.
- Of course Freiza wants to reign over the kings of everything. He just wouldn’t be Frieza without adding that in somewhere.
- Covering your ears is totally the same as curing your mental weakness. Right?
- Seriously, who throws a shoe?
- Of course Krillin is the first one to ‘die’.
- There are still 43 minutes left in the tournament? Two full episodes has taken up 5 minutes!
- Next time looks like an insane battle of the saiyans!